Let’s Play VET! will undertake a thorough analysis of the “learning playlist approach”, a new methodology created and tested in the United State by the LRNG movement. The aim of LRNG is to close the opportunity gap for young people with fewer opportunities and innovate how they access to learning and thus multiply their chances of success. Using technology to create partnerships and learning opportunities both locally and globally, LRNG operates for delivering changes in training the millions of young people who are locked out of traditional paths to finish their scholastic career.
Let’s Play VET! could also be considered an outcome of the KA2 YOUTH European Badge Alliance coordinated by Uniser (http://ebawebsite.net/). The European Badge Alliance is a project aimed at innovating the recognition, validation and communication processes of key competences acquired by young people in non formal and informal learning contexts thanks to the use of “Learning Badges”. Learning Badges will be integrated in the process of creating the VET module because they have proven to motivate young people in learning. This concept is called “gamification” and it is based on the fact that individuals are stimulated in completing their assignment by the gratification of receiving in this case a badge that will unlock the access to new and more challenging learning experiences.
This innovative tools has been mentioned also by the Council of Europe in the recommendation “Promoting new approaches in youth work to uncover and develop the potential of young people” which has pointed out that “To appeal to young people and to
ensure greater impact on their lives, new settings where young people spend their time, such as modern city infrastructure and virtual space, as well as new approaches using innovative online and offline tools (such as gamification, GPS based activities, learning badges or design thinking), should be reflected upon and taken into account in the further development of education and training of youth workers.”
The added and innovative value of Let’s Play VET, in respect of other projects, stands in:
- Innovating the way VET learners experience education, enhancing the engagement and participation in learning processes;
- Testing, for the first time in Europe, the concept of “Learning Playlist” through the implementation of a training module for the Graphic Designer qualification (EQF 4);
- Mainstreaming the use of learning badges and playlists among youngster, VET schools and public institutions;
- Fostering research on practices and case studies about playlists and gamification that will be useful for VET providers and school all over Europe;
- Creating an interactive platform to increase the engagement of students through the use of ICT tools (which they use on a regular basis in their everyday life) and to facilitate the interaction between them and trainers;
- Opening to VET providers the possibility of using playlists and learning badges;
- Raising awareness in decision-makers on the potential of playlists as an innovative tool to prevent illiteracy and lower the school drop-out rate.